Thursday, March 5, 2009

To Knock-Off or not to Knock-Off...?

Let's face it. It's a recession. There are, of course, many dire results of this economic downturn. One of which is that lately I've been seeing more and more (gasp!) knock-offs. Obviously, everyone cannot afford designer shoes and handbags ranging anywhere from $500 to $5000 or more. As a rule, however, I try to avoid knock-offs. If I appreciate the style and essence of some designer dud, then a cheap, poorly-made replica does nothing for me. Normally, I would prefer to get something more affordable that is along the same style inspiration than have a "fake." Why buy a 1991 Mercedes when you could get a 2009 Altima? At least, that's what my practical side says.

I once had a friend's mom bring me back a fake LV Speedy bag from her vacation to Malaysia. It was actually a pretty good replica except for some minor details (no rivets on bottom, no serial number inside). One day, she mentioned that she never saw me use it. So, I felt obligated to tote the thing around. The next day I gave in and toted the bag to work. It wasn't bad actually. It grew on me and became "cute." Later that same day, as I was on my way out to my car, I was walking next to a lady. I noticed her smug smirk but didn't think much of it. Yet, as we continued to walk, she seemed to become more amused. I was baffled until I looked down and saw her (obviously real) Louis Vuitton Speedy bag in hand; it looked much different than mine. Yes, she was a jerk for laughing at me, but I swore off of knock-offs that day.

Louis Vuitton Spicy Sandal Collection, s/s '09
Now, years later, I find myself contemplating stepping over to the dark side again. Coincidentally with the same brand. I mentioned in an earlier post my affection for the Spring 2009 RTW Louis Vuitton Collection. Imagine my surprise when I saw that Bebe is making a shoe that is unashamedly similar to the Louis Vuitton's embellished platform sandal. Bebe is famous for knocking off many things like most recently Herve Leger's bandage dresses, much to the delight of young party-going ladies across the country that hold Kim Kardashian as their style icon. This time, I think they've made another hit with the Katrin sandal. No, it's not python skin or whatever, but it looks pretty close to the LV sandal in three (3) different colors and at a fraction of the cost. And, with this economy, $149 is definitely more justifiable than over $2000!

Bebe Katrin Sandal

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers